Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Linked Data Ssource Limitation SP2010

Interesting SharePoint 2010 limitation, when using linked data sources ensure that your page does not display over 225 cells per page.

What I mean by Cells is the calculated value of rows by columns.

Unfortunately for whatever reason MOSS (SharePoint 2007) had the capability of going higher than 225 cells without failing but they did not keep the same capability in 2010.

The primary symptom of the error besides the Data View Web Part not rendering is that you end up with a StackOverflowException in the logs. Search the correlation ID you receive in the error in the logs and you will find the corresponding error.

Reducing the page size or displayed columns is really the only non-code fix and is the short term solution I was forced to implement.

The MS rep I discussed this with said the defect is due to the SharePoint Designer render, and recommended a long term solution which will be to implement the page in the sandbox environment using custom built pages with the client object model. He indicated MS may eventually fix the issue.


Bug characterization Information
  • Removing the second template call replaced with spaces did not lead to an error.
    This means I still had 375 cells but only 125 contained data from a list the other 250 were just html spaces.
  • Tried encapsulating the template call in a variable to see if it would force better memory optimization, this did not change anything.
  • This issue seems to only effect joined lists as I have a single list in a Data Form Web Part that is displaying 5 columns by about ~200 rows
  • Always fails at 375 cells

1 comment:

RA said...

Thanks for your post. I was trying to copy Version column to calculated field column so I can access it in my Reusable workflow. Spent quite a lot time trying to figure out why it was removing the bracket []. I wish I would have come across your post much earlier, later than never.